The goal of our programme is to increase the quality and scope of services offered to refugee women and children by enhancing their social, cultural and economic potential in South African society.
We see ourselves as contributing towards the challenges on the Africa
continent; working to address challenges of refugees and asylum seekers
through partnerships with communities and organizations that work
towards greater human security and development.
What We Do ...
• Provide a temporary safe shelter for 120 refugee women and children.
• Reintegration of refugee and asylum seeker women into South African
society by equipping the refugee women with the skills to make them
self-confident independent human beings in their new home
environment. Abused women are supported and the cycle of violence
broken; young people are guided toward gratifying lives.
• Developing local collaboration and networks: by helping to build
institutions and structures for refugee integration; building bridges
between local communities and newcomers/refugees. This helps to
foster and build sustainable peace and assists in developing
• Facilitate education/training to cater against racism, xenophobia, war and social violence.
• Increase refugees’ participation and strengthen the voice in the
surrounding communities in order to increase service delivery.
• Together with our partners and similar minded organisations we have addressed the xenophobic violence which erupted in May 2008. As an organisation we have assisted a total of 20,000 people.
• In the reconstruction and rehabilitation phase, we have assisted 60 families with reintegration and rehabilitation in the surrounding communities of which most came from Samora Machel.